Tuesday, March 1, 2011

OSSO BUCO WITH WHITE BEANS AND SIGNS OF SPRING



Being March 1st and all (THANK YOU Baby Jesus!), I thought I'd share some little signs of spring that have been popping up, all around my house:










And while I know that green apples don't exactly scream, "SPRING", I think they look so fresh that I love to have them everywhere:




I also have this "thing" for terra cotta pots, especially in the spring. Why, just yesterday I took two clean pots and used them as utensil/napkin holders in my favorite basket:




Even my sewing space in our loft has gotten a little spring-like makeover; kinda looks like a flower shop right now!:



In the next few days I plan on transforming my front porch--the snowmen have just GOT to go!

Not to change the subject or anything, but my friend Billy, who owns a fabulous Italian restaurant here in town, knows how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE Osso Buco, and for some reason, he won't make it for me. So what is an Osso Buco loving kinda gal to do? Why, make her own! So I did, and I must say it came out fabulously. Traditonal Osso Buco uses veal shanks, which can be kinda expensive, so this is sort of a special occasion meal in our home. I like it served over white Cannelini beans and tomatoes--you might like yours over pasta instead. Which is probably much more traditional. But anyways.....to get started, dredge the veal shanks in flour, then brown in butter:



And by the way, you can do this whole dish in a Dutch oven--LOVE THAT! Next you add onion and garlic and carrots to the pan, and let simmer with the tomatoes for about an hour and a half:

(still loving my scooper thing!)



When it's just about done, mix some parsley and grated lemon zest together in a bowl (the smell of this is unbelievable)--and add it to the veal just before serving. We enjoyed our Osso Buco with White Beans served with some steamed fresh Brussels sprouts. All in all, a FABULOUS Sunday dinner!:




OSSO BUCCO WITH WHITE BEANS
Serves 3

1 1/2 lbs. veal shanks (about 3 medium sized shanks)
1/4 cup flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2/3 cup white wine
2/3 cup beef stock
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 14oz. cans Cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tsp. grated lemon zest

Dust the veal shanks lightly with flour. Melt butter in large oven-proof pot; add veal and cook until browned on the outside. Remove to a bowl. Add garlic cloves and onion to pot; cook and stir until onion is tender. Return veal to pot and mix in carrot and white wine. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour in tomatoes and beef stock; season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 and 1/2 hours. The meat should be tender, but not falling off the bone. Stir in white Cannelini beans. In a small bowl, mix together the parsley and lemon zest. Mix into veal just before serving.

TOP 3 THINGS I'M GRATEFUL FOR TODAY:

1. I'm grateful that I'm having lunch with my dear friend Shellie tomorrow--she always makes me laugh, and we have so much to talk about!
2. I'm SO grateful that spring is in the air, with the promise of many long walks to come in the very near future.
3. I'm grateful that I'm down another 4 lbs.--a month and a half to go until Vegas, baby!!




1 comment:

  1. Very home-y and delicious sounding. Wish I could bring myself to buy veal. Is there any substitute? It's almost Spring-like here today also. Our back-deck thermometer is showing 50 degrees! Almost enough to melt the 3 feet of snow on our deck! Go Spring! It's always like a rebirth, it's my second favorite season next to Summer. Love you, M.O.M.

    ReplyDelete