Thursday, October 6, 2011

MOM'S SHRIMP LINGUINE AND A LITTLE GIRL CHAT ABOUT MISE EN PLACE.........

Crazy, crazy busy around here this week ; in fact, I didn't think I'd have time to blog at all until maybe Sunday, but here I am, typical Leslie (and really, typical WOMAN, right?), squeeking one more thing into my already jam-packed day. To be truthful, I'd much rather be working on this blog, anyways, instead of  soooo many other boring things on my To-Do list, like vacuuming, buying stamps, washing the car, picking up prescriptions--this is just so much more fun!

The next two days are pretty tied up for me, because I'm helping my friend Jimmy O., a well known local florist, with a big outdoor Autumn wedding! Pretty excited....Jimmy is super talented, and so I'm sure he'll be teaching me a thing or two (or eight!) about wedding flowers and decorations. I just hope my energy level can keep up with his!


My mom, Carol, sent me this recipe a while back, and she said she prepared it when my in-laws were visiting her and my Dad and that everyone just LOOOVVVEEEDDD it. She thinks she found it in Prevention magazine or Health magazine or one of those publications that old people read (hee hee) religiously, like the Bible. My parents also watch Dateline and Wheel Of Fortune...nuff said!


Before I give you her recipe, I want to chat a bit about a subject that is near and dear by my heart--"Mise En Place". Don't know what that is?  Well, the literal French translation is "Putting in Place"...which can also be read as "Everything in Place".  All restaurant kitchens use Mise En Place....all foods are always prepped and ready to go by prep cooks. This is a photo of my version of Mis En Place....everything is super RTG (ready to go!)..................



If you watch cooking shows on television, you know that most ingredients that need chopping or measuring are already prepared and neatly contained in little glass dishes or bowls for the super star chef. Wouldn't it be nice if we ALL had a sweet little prep person in our kitchen, doing such things (and the dishes, too?)? Well, in the real world, I've learned that when I prepare and measure all of my ingredients for a recipe in advance (whenever possible), it just makes cooking so much easier, and so much more pleasant! Nothing worse than following a recipe to the minute, and having the recipe say, "Now add chopped garlic and saute for 1 minute",...........



.......... And then realizing, gasp, to your utter horror that you haven't even chopped your garlic yet, or anything else for that matter, and the pan is hot and all ready to go! That would just make me feel totally frazzled and unprepared, two emotions I absolutely loathe.....just sayin'! Anyways, if you haven't already, give Mise En Place a chance....it'll change the way you cook.

To begin today's recipe, cook linguine (whole grain, doncha know) per package directions...drain and set aside. I purchased frozen medium shrimp with the skins and tails still on, and de-skinned and de-tailed them myself. Heat oil in a large pan and add shrimp, garlic and red chili pepper flakes (adds a wonderful heat!) and cook for about 2 minutes...........


Add tomatoes, white wine, lemon juice and salt--cook until tomatoes start to soften, about a minute longer................



Add spinach and parsley (is this meal healthy, or WHAT?) and cook until spinach starts to wilt...............



Add drained pasta back to pan--toss to coat, and serve with grated parmesan cheese. A delicious and nutritious dinner----thanks, Mom!



Here's the recipe.........

MOM'S SHRIMP LINGUINE
Serves 4

1 pound whole wheat linguine
2 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. medium peeled shrimp, tails off
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 / 2 or 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, to taste
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 / 2 cup dry white wine
juice of 1 lemon
1 / 2 tsp. salt
3 cups packed baby spinach leaves, washed if necessary
1 / 4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 / 2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.

Prepare pasta per package directions; drain and set aside. Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat while pasta cooks. Add shrimp, garlic and red pepper flakes; cook until shrimp starts to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, lemon juice and salt. Cook until tomatoes start to soften, about 1 minute. Add spinach and parsley ; cook until spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Add drained pasta to pan, toss to coat and serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

TODAY I'M SO THANKFUL FOR......

***The brisk fall air (well, more like frigid 28 degree fall air this a.m.) for Willie's and my early morning jaunt--invigorating!

***Warm flannel sheets!

***My conversations with dear old BFF Marty on the phone this past week. I have known Marty for over 30 years now--he is such a delightful and naughty little stinker!

2 comments:

  1. Linguine is my favorite type of pasta and I love this recipe. WOuld you like to joins us and share your recipe at Simply Saturdays? We would love to have you join us.

    Maria @ A Platter of Figs

    http://aplatteroffigs.blogspot.com/2011/10/all-in-sauce-mushroom-with-egg-yolks.html

    ReplyDelete