Sunday, October 9, 2011

ELEGANT PUMPKIN SOUP, SCARY CLOWNS AND A SASQUATCH SIGHTING!...................

Just so you know, B.A. is OBSESSED with seeing Bigfoot here in Upstate New York....don't know why, and personally I think it would be waaaaay too cold around here for a creature like that to survive the harsh winters, but he still believes! Could it be because B.A. has an ever - so - slight resemblence to the fabled furry beast himself? Hmmmm....I mean, we don't call him our "Missing Link" for nuttin'. The photo above was taken on our recent Sunday "field trip" outing to the beautiful Trenton Falls area.......here are some more of the former "Big Daddy" (week 3 of the official nickname change and still not sure I'm liking it), suckin' it in and looking dashing as always...............


Why so serious, Mr. Badass? (this is his, "Honey, come ON! look)...................


The next photo is my husband's attempt at getting even with me for being a brat.....gullible me, giving him my camera while I was in the LOVELY port - a - potty......ick!.............



Why am I rubbing my hands together? Because port - a - potties now have Purel dispensers.....shoulda rubbed it overy my whole self! NOT a place for budding germ - o - phobs like me!

So I had never hiked up to the Trenton Falls before, and because we really like to learn a lot about the areas we've been fortunate enough to live in, off we went on a slightly rainy Sunday afternoon. On the way up to the falls, you get to take in a spooky old cemetery up on a big hill...just in time for Halloween! I just love the old graveyards / cemeteries on the East coast....some of the tombstones predate the American Revolution, often with their inscriptions worn off. I don't think these were that old, but still they were wicked cool.......





And check out this spooky old barn, also on the trail up the hillside...............




If you're ever in the Central / Upstate New York area and would like to take a scenic and interesting hike, you should definetely check out the Trenton Falls Park....just make sure to check out their website first, located HERE, before you go, as the park isn't open all that often. Here are my favorite photos from our hike........





Finally, some SUNSHINE!.....


Gorgeous, no? Afterwards, we drove around the lovely Steuben / Trenton countryside, and B.A. humored me by letting me get up close and personal with some grazing horses.....I am telling you that I am truly a Horse Whisperer...they seriously  (I've been told I have a way with animals) LOVE me....but B.A. thinks they just want some food......he's such a stodgy old skeptic!...............



"Oh, come a little bit closer and let me nuzzle your nose, pretty please?"..............


See, I AM the Horse Whisperer~!  LOVE.........


If you live within an hour of me, you'll know this scary face well.......WARNING : scroll past quickly if you are as scared of clowns as I am!................


EEK!!! That's right...Muncho. Brings to mind a Stephen King novel, right? All Muncho  needs are some sharp fangs to complete this terrifying picture.....I'm so gonna have nightmares tonite. See, there's a cute little Ice Cream shack called The Kayuta on our way back to the Adirondacks, and that's where Muncho "lives", a.k.a. terrorizes and eats children. Terrifies me every single time I drive by, which is about twice a week. Well, I was shaky hungry after all of our hiking and horse chasing and photo snapping, so we had to stop for some soft serve....I'v been told there are ZERO calories in that stuff....please don't tell me otherwise and burst my delusional bubble.........

****************

Changing the subject now, big time. Have you ever had Pumpkin Soup? Sounds funky, right? Well, I'm here to tell you that it is deeeeeeeeelish......my Mom gave me this recipe about a gazillion year ago, and something about it is tres elegant...must be the splash of Sherry at the end of cooking. The recipe just feels French somehow, and would make an awesome first course for Thanksgiving dinner, maybe served in some cute little pumpkin shaped bowls. To begin, saute a yellow onion in butter until tender.................




Stir in a little flour and remove from heat. Add chicken broth, pumpkin, sugar and salt and pepper..................



Bring back to a simmer....and some Half and Half and continue to heat (without boiling)..................



Just before serving, stir in some Sherry and garnish with parsley. Test for seasoning....we like ours with homemade croutons....................



So easy and so delicious--you will just love this impressive little soup!!! Here's the recipe......


CAROL'S ELEGANT PUMPKIN SOUP
Serves 4

2 tblsp. butter
4 tblsp. chopped yellow onion
2 tblsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 tsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper
1 cup half and half
4 tblsp. Sherry wine (or more!)
minced fresh parsley

Saute onion in butter until soft. Stir in flour ; remove from heat. Add chicken broth, pumpkin, sugar and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add half and half and continue to heat. Do not let boil. Just before serving, stir in Sherry wine and garnish with parsley. Taste for seasoning.

TODAY I'M SO THANKFUL FOR......

***The wonderful day I've enjoyed with my husband, doing just about nothing!

***The cooking class our daughter is TEACHING today at the Food Collective at her college. You GO, Little Miss Thing!!

***Less than 2 weeks away from going to Berkeley myself...SO looking forward to hugging and hanging out with our daughter and her friends and spending lots of time with family. Uncle Joe, you are SO taking us out to dinner!

2 comments:

  1. what a great day and I must try the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with BD, i would not give up the search...If Big Foot is in NY then Trenton Falls is a perfect place to look for him. Considering Mr B.A's career I trust his hunch..- BD, please keep us posted.
    Fantastic pictures & What a yummy recipe!- i must get the fixings and make this one!
    As always Thank you for the fun Leslie!

    ReplyDelete