Sunday, March 25, 2012

OPRAH'S BAKED RISOTTO AND A LITTLE SPRING FLING!........


So, you know me.....it's a new season, and where do I head first? Yes, that's right...my favorite shop on the planet, and possibly the whole wide Universe, Old and Everlasting in Cazenovia, NY. Picked up my girlfriend Lori D. on the way (our husbands are both country club general managers, and she came to New Orleans with us for our annual conference--Lori only gained 4 pounds there, to my SEVEN, and that's why we can no longer be friends) and what a pleasant day we had, shopping, having lunch, having coffee....all the things we girls love to do!

 Isn't the bunny in the above photo just the cutest THANG, ever? You can check out Old and Everlasting's blog, HERE (called Everlasting Notes), or any time you like, just by clicking on her blog listing, which is handily located in the right hand column of my blog. Marianne's blog is a wonderful source of decorating and spiritual inspiration to many. (She ships everywhere, you know.......)

Also found this darling little nest for $1.89 at a spectacular furniture store called Johnny Appleseed (found HERE) in nearby Nelson, NY.....the store is actually located in the midst of a huge apple orchard! I mean really, could YOU pass this little nest up?.....


Here it is, nestled into my coffee table's centerpiece.....


The chickens are laying eggs like crazy in my kitchen............If my collection keeps growing, Wink's going to have to build me a coop!...........


I seem to be using terra cotta pots more and more these days....just love the garden-ey feel they bring to a room.............


I made these Springy bird's nest cupcakes, using toasted coconut, for some dear friends the other day.....aren't they sweet?..........


****************

We'll be leaving for Paris, France (not Texas) two weeks from Tuesday, and we're in a frenzy around here, trying to learn a little basic Francaise! We've had a few people tell us that French people are just rude, rude, rude....but our daughter, who has been living in Paris for quite a while now tells us that if tourists just TRY to speak a teensy weensy bit of their language, that the locals truly appreciate it and can be quite accomodating. Which got me thinking (uh oh!)....

Imagine if you worked in, say, a Burger King restaurant in this country. A group of French tourists come into your restaurant and ONLY speak French when trying to place their order. Not even trying at all to use any basic English. You can't understand a thing they're trying to say, and the line grows long behind them. Wouldn't you be a bit put off, being that service person behind the counter? We EXPECT tourists coming to America to try to speak some our language, at least minimally...shouldn't we show the same courtesy when we travel? I, for one, do not wish to continue spreading the horrible stereotype of the typical egotistical American tourist, who dresses poorly, is loud and believes that the whole world should revolve around Americans...

Wink and I are using flash cards, which Little Miss Thing thinks is super cute. Hey, whatever works, no? I'm also using subtle hints around the house to jog our memories....check this new addition out...........


******************

Our little town is officially on Spring Break...school is closed here for 2 weeks and most families go somewhere warm, on vacation.  I am not exaggerating when I say that our town turns into a ghost town, with tumble weeds blowing down the main street. I hate it, I really really do. It's quite an eerie feeling, being the only human being at home in the whole neighborhood! We used to go away also, when our child was in school here, but these days we tend to travel whenever we want, not being  tied into the school's schedule.

We fancy ourselves footloose and fancy-free--WHEEEEEEE!!!

Wink is away in Rochester on business for 3 days this week, so it's just me, the dog and the cats holding down Fort Willard. Even though I'm a little bit lonely, I'm going to try to take advantage of this quiet time to myself by reading all that I want to, watching, guilt free, Real Housewives marathons (Don't hate--I know it's a stupid, brainless addiction!) and taking long walks. Oh yes, and enjoying having the whole big bed to stretch out in. Maybe sleep in a little bit, too. And you know that after a few days of all this me-time,  I'll be missing  my guy, sumpin' FIERCE!

*******************

Here I go again, tearing recipies out of magazines...this one from Oprah........




Unfortunately, I don't think the print in this photo is large enough for you to comfortably read, so I'll retype it for you at the end of this post.....Wink and I love to make traditional Risottos...especially this time of year with fresh spring peas or asparagus. HOWEVER, Risotto can take a LOT of  time, stirring and adding broth, butter, cream until the consistency is just perfect. Which is why I was so curious about this recipe....BAKING Risotto? How on earth would that turn out?

I'm here to tell you that this recipe is absolutely to-die-for....comfort food at it's very best! All you need is a sturdy Dutch oven or ovenproof pot. We served our Risotto as the main entree for dinner, but it would certainly be a fabulous side dish (for some grilled fish, perhaps). 

To begin, cook some chopped bacon over medium heat in a Dutch oven, then set aside (I always place mine on paper towels, to absorb the fat).........



Add the chopped onion to the pan drippings and cook until tender. Add Arborio rice.......


and stir to coat with bacon drippings..........


Stir in wine...add broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and bake for aboutg 25 minutes. Stir in frozen peas (alwaysssss in my freezer) and basil......




Return to oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in butter (a much smaller amount than traditional Risottos!) and Parmesan cheese. Add bacon and season to taste.....

If I ate this as my very last ever meal here on Earth, I would die a very contented woman, smacking my lips all the way to Heaven....I'm just sayin', it's THAT GOOD! Gotta give this one a try...........


Here's the recipe.........

OPRAH'S BAKED RISOTTO WITH BACON AND PEAS
Serves 4 to 6

4 strips bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken broth or water
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped basil, plus more for garnish
2 to 3 tblsp. unsalted butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using an oven-safe, straight-sided saucepan or Dutch oven with a lid, cook bacon over medium-high heat. When cooked through, remove bacon and set aside, reserving fat in pan. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with bacon fat. Stir in wine and cook until it has evaporated, 1 minute more. Stir in broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and bake 20 to 25 minutes; check the risotto. Most of the liquid should be absorbed and the rice just cooked. Stir in peas and basil and return to oven, uncovered, for 5 more minutes. Remove risotto from oven and stir in butter and cheese. Add reserved bacon, season to taste with salt and pepper, and spoon into bowls. Shave additonal Parmesan over the top and garnish with basil.

TODAY I'M SO THANKFUL FOR......

***The courage I mustered up this week, somewhere: I learned how to self-inject medication into my stomach (which will be every week, from now on), AND had another Melanoma removed, all on the very same day. And then, because a girl's gotta eat, went out to a fun dinner after it was all over. That's just how I roll!

***Bunny corn

***The robins on my front lawn, reminding me that Spring is truly here!





4 comments:

  1. Leslie, that risotto sounds awesome! I've baked it using Martha's recipe. Great stuff! Love Johnny Appleseeds....they furnished our home. I love your Spring vignettes that you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear Leslie....
    You are such a sweet and wonderful person! Blessed to know you that's for sure! We so LOVE your visits...you bring happiness wherever you go! And it was so nice to meet Lori on Saturday.It looks like you two had fun checking out Johnny Appleseeds also...Wonderful store!!! Did I mention those cupcakes yet??? We got into those right away....yummy,yummy,yummy....
    Take care Leslie....looking forward to hearing all about your trip to France...you truly inspire us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love risotto! But will Paris have pseudo vin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..How exciting to be going to France! I hope you have a great time! I love your vignettes...that little bunny is so sweet! NOW...for the serious stuff...Real Housewives...I am addicted...I watch them all...but don't tell anyone...ok?
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete