Sunday, June 5, 2011

BIG BIG NEWS AND SOME PEACH MELBA SHORTBREAD BARS!



Where to begin, where to begin? I have so much to chat about with you today, but before I show you how to make what you really want......


(because I know my blog audience....you're all a buncha sweet freaks!), I want to tell you all about my new business venture.  And it all started with, big sigh, this......



That's right, a bowl! A gorgeous green bowl. A gorgeous green bowl with the prettiest scalloped edges and oh-so functional handles. A gorgeous green bowl with the prettiest scalloped edges, and oh-so functional handles that also acts as a colander, and was made is Portugal (what--not China??) A friend let me borrow a catalog from a company I'd never heard of, called Willow House, and I'm here to tell you I wanted every single stinkin' thing in that book! Gorgeous, fresh and functional home decor that everyone will love. So now I'm selling for Willow House, and it all started here.....



Like you, I'd never heard of Willow House, but soon learned that it is a spinoff company from Southern Living At Home, which is part of Southern Living Magazine. Which I totally adore, more than any other magazine, for their gorgeous photography and no-fail recipes (in fact, the recipe I'm preparing today is from the April issue).

Anyone who knows me knows that it's been a dream of mine for ions and ions to open my own home store, once again. But alas, due to some really debilitating health problems, I have to put that dream on hold for awhile. So what's a dreamy / sickly girl who wants pretty stuff to do, in the meantime? Why, open her own store in her home and on-line, that's what!

I promise promise promise that I will not turn this blog into a selling blog....I love it too much, just the way it is, to ever do that. BUT, once or twice a month I would love to show you some of the products that I've fallen in love with around my house, and give you the opportunity to buy them for your own home, if you so desire. You don't even have to call me to order...my website is listed in the top right-hand margin of my blog, for your internet surfing pleasure.

Also, if you live in my area, I would like to invite you to my big Kickoff Party at my home, on Thursday night, June 16th, from 7-9 p.m. There will be food, wine and lots of Willow House samples for you to check out. If you need more deets or want to RSVP, give me a call at (315)369-5210. Please come, and bring a friend!

If you like the bowl I've featured here today, here's some more info...............



The Verde Berry Bowl is $36.96, and measures 10 inches by 7 inches by 5 inches tall. It is a functional colander and, since draining holes are on the bottom, you can use it on the countertop as a fruit bowl....holes help prevent spoilage. You can order it, lickity split, at my website, located HERE.

***A note about comments on this blog lately:  you might have had some trouble posting comments, and I understand that Blogger (the Google blogsight so many of us use) has fixed the problem. I love your comments so very much!

Now onto the best-ever bar cookies from Southern Living magazine! These are fun and easy to put together--a great recipe for kids to help with. I doubled the recipe, as I had multiple people I wanted to treat (that's how I get people to like me) so your amounts won't look as large as mine, just so you know. Start by combining flour, sugar and salt together in a food processor (or you can use a pastry cutter):



Cut in butter until crumbly in texture (I know, I know, this is a lot of butter, but it IS shortbread!)......




Lightly grease an 11 x 7 inch or 9 inch square pan, and press all but 1 cup of mixture onto bottom of pan......



Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or just until LIGHTLY browned. Spread peach preserves over crust in pan (okay if pan is still hot). Dollop raspberry preserves over peach preserves.......



Sprinkle remaining 1 cup flour mixture over preserves, then sprinkle with slivered almonds..........



Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool, then cut into bars. Pour yourself a nice cold glass of iced tea.......



And enjoy these! C'mon, you know you want a bite........



Here's the recipe.....

SOUTHERN LIVING'S PEACH MELBA SHORTBREAD BARS
Makes 1 1 / 2 to 2 dozen bars

2 cups all purpose flour
1 / 3 cup granulated sugar
1 / 4 tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter
1 cup peach preserves (or more)
6 tsp. raspberry preserves
1 / 2 cup slivered almonds
Garnish: powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or food processor) until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of flour mixture. Lightly grease an 11 x 7 inch or 9 inch square pan. Press remaining flour mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30  minutes, or until lightly browned. Spread peach preserves over crust in pan. Dollop raspberry preserves by 1 / 2 teaspoonfuls over peach preserves. Sprinkle reserved 1 cup flour mixture over preserves . Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.

Today I'm So Thankful For......

*My "new" redesigned kitchen--so much more counter and cupboard space. A big thank you to Roger Parent and Mike Risley for their beautiful work.

*My upcoming Willow House Open House.....very exciting!

*The beautiful flowers my wonderful wonderful neighbors hang on their front porch, every single summer. A true  treat for the eyes--thanks, Deb and Dave!



1 comment:

  1. Dear Cousin Leslie, that link to your Willow House page above is broken (there is an extra space in the URL).

    YOU'RE WELCOME! -Joe

    ReplyDelete