Sunday, May 8, 2011

SATURDAY NIGHT AND A CHICKEN CHEDDAR PIE!



We have had such craaaaaazy busy days lately, so Big Daddy and I decided to actually STAY home this Saturday night for a change, have a cozy dinner, snuggle up on the sofa and watch a mindless Reese Witherspoon movie (love her!). I just love love love lazy Saturday nights, and we need to enjoy them while we can--summertime kicks off the busy social season for us, especially with my husband's job.  Oh yea, check out the quilted table runner I just finished in one of my unlazy moments, coordinated with nice and shiny and cheerful apples......


Here's a quick and easy recipe for you, one that I've prepared for ions. Chicken and Cheddar Cheese Pie. I'm serious as a heart attack when I tell you that everyone who has ever tried this just LOVES it...total comfort food, and great for leftovers. This recipe is especially easy if you have some leftover chicken in the fridge--and you can always use a grocery store rotisserie bird, too.

First thing to do is lightly grease a pie dish or medium size casserole. In a bowl, combine cooked and diced chicken, cheddar cheese, chopped broccoli and sweet onion, then place in your pie dish:



In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, Bisquick, salt, pepper, dried thyme and rosemary, then pour over chicken mixture:




Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top and set inside......



 Sprinkle with more cheddar cheese and let rest for about 15 minutes. I served mine with a colorful salad......an easy and scrumptious dinner!



Here's the recipe;
CHICKEN AND CHEDDAR CHEESE PIE
Serves 6

3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 10oz. package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 1/3 cup milk
3 eggs
3/4 cup Bisquick
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 dried rosemary

In a bowl, combine 2 cups cheddar cheese, broccoli, chicken and onion; spread into greased small casserole or pie dish. In a small bowl, beat milk, eggs, Bisquick, salt and pepper, thyme and rosemary until smooth. Pour over chicken mixture--do not stir. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 45  minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.

TODAY I'M MOST GRATEFUL FOR:

*The fabulous Mother's Day I enjoyed, thanks to my wonderful husband who loves me so. We had a gorgeous drive down to the Cooperstown/Sharon Springs area--photos to come, next post.

* Our new patio set, with a cheerful new red market umbrella. Bring on the summer BBQ's (well, maybe when the bugs have died down a little!).

*Our beautiful and sweet daughter, who remembered to call her old mama today......, and for my own wonderful mom, Carol, in Collyfornia. Love you, Abbie and mom!

1 comment:

  1. Leslie~

    Your recipe sounds delish!! I think I'll have to try it.

    Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    Enjoy your evening~Becky

    ReplyDelete