Friday, May 6, 2011

FABULOUS CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD!



It's been awhile since I've done any real cooking around here--been too busy flirting with guys like this:


Can I just tell you that this was the SLIME-iest  Elvis impersonator I've ever met! I mean really, when my mom was taking this photo on the Las Vegas Strip, "Elvis" was getting busy putting his hand on my 47 year old tush! All I can say about that is......ICK!

Now that the weather is warming up around here, my thoughts turn to lighter meal options. Here's what I really love about this time of year: after dinner walks. It's been staying light outside until almost 8p.m......so wonderful. Sometimes I whip up a light dinner for Big Daddy and I earlier in the day, so that dinner is ready when he gets home from work, and then we can get OUTSIDE. After our long winters here in the Great Northwoods of America, being outside is just precious.

Do you like chicken salads? I really do, although sometimes they can be a bit, well, bland. But not my Curried Chicken Salad....the curry, apples, golden raisins and peanuts in this recipe really jazz it up. Here's how I put it all together:

In a large bowl, lightly toss together diced apples, celery, carrot and raisins:



In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper:




. Now here's the most important step--you are going to "sweat" your curry on the stove. Do not skip this--the difference in the curry flavor is amazing!.........


Add diced chicken to the apple mixture; gently fold in curry mayonnaise:



Chill for at least 2 hours to let the flavors meld together in the refrigerator. You can either serve your chicken salad as a sandwich (we love ours on dark rye bread), or on a bed of red leaf lettuce, like we did the other night. I like to garnish with roasted peanuts:



So delicious! I hope you like this as much as we do.....Here's the recipe:

CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD
Serves 8-10 sandwiches, or 4 dinner sized salads

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
3/4 cup golden raisins
2/3 cup mayonnaise (low-fat is fine)
2 tblsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1 / 2 lbs. cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small dice
2-3 tsp. curry powder
peanuts for garnish, optional

In a large bowl, lightly toss together the diced apples, celery, carrot and golden raisins until well mixed. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper until well blended. In a small dry skillet, toast the curry powder over high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes (from experience, I recommend keeping your eye on the curry--it burns easily if not stirred frequently). Stir curry into mayonnaise mixture. Add chicken, along with curry mayonnaise, into apple mixture, folding in gently with a spatula. Cover and cool for at least 2 hours before serving. If serving as a salad entree, sprinkle with peanuts before serving, if desired.

TODAY I'M GRATEFUL FOR:

* Our upcomming day trip to Sharon Springs this weekend, inspired by fellow blogger Cindy Petters at Hidden Pond Farm. This is part of my Mother's Day gift--photos to come soon!

*My upcomming trip to America's Heartland, Omaha Nebraska...I KNOW, traveling again, Leslie?? This is it for awhile, really. I have too many weeds to pull around here to be gone for very long.

*My new business venture--don't worry, I'll fill you all in, as soon as I get the hang of it!







1 comment:

  1. I am soooo hungry for this! Can't you just make some for me and express mail it?? Hmmmm? I just know it will taste ever so much betta if you make it! =)

    Happy Mothers Day, Les!

    ~~Debra

    ReplyDelete