Wednesday, June 1, 2011

SPECTACULAR SUMMERTIME SALAD, A LITTLE BIT O' SHOPPING AND SOME BACK PORCH LIVING!



Before I start chatting about salads and such, I thought I'd just show you a few of the treasures I pickup up during my shopping excursion with BFF's Lynn and Diane, during my recent trip to Omaha. The ladies who lunch took me, after we lunched, of course, to the most amazing shop, called "Voila!", that was a combination gift shop and flower shop. If you're ever on Dodge Street in Midtown Omaha, be sure to check her out! Anyways, here are a few of my treasures..........
   
Had so much fun finding a spot for this guy....like I really NEEDED another rooster!


I just cherish this antique looking little plaque, with a birdie on her nest.....


Guess I'm on a bird theme lately.....COVET this little nest, and found the perfect spot for it in our master bath......



That's about all my carry-on would allow....Note to self:  Next time, bring an empty suitcase!

Well, we are in the throes of summer here, finally finally finally! Kind of hot and humid, and so for us that means lots of enjoying dinners outside, on our back porch. LOVING the screen door Big Daddy just installed........



This is the scene out there, most days in the summertime.....hungry girls hanging out, waiting to be fed after swimming in the lake.....



These towels will hang here all summer long.....


I love to set a pretty table for supper, complete with a Citronella candle, of course!......



Everything just looks so lush and green, after such a snowy winter and wet spring......


Since Big Daddy hadn't fired up the grill yet this year (and just what is he WAITING for???), I decided to make nice, big salads for dinner. I had a beautiful wedge o' bleu cheese in the fridge, some red grapes, green apples and red onion, too......




And because we just love that sweet and salty combination, I decided to candy some pecans to sprinkle.....so easy to make! First thing I do is spread raw pecan halves onto a baking sheet, then mix together a little melted butter and brown sugar.......




Pour the brown sugar mixture over the nuts, and mix well with your hands. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes (do NOT overbrown), then let cool on the cookie sheet. Separate nuts when cool, and nibble on the little bits of caramel left on the pan.....




I also like to make my own salad dressing....I thought a good Honey Dijon would be in order here. I use good olive oil, rice wine vinegar, a little lemon, honey and some   Dijon mustard.



I always measure my oil and vinegar in a glass measuring cup, then transfer all ingredients into an empty mustard jar to shake:



For this salad, I used about 1 / 3 cup olive oil, about the same amount of rice wine vinegar, about a tablespoon of honey, juice of 1 / 2 lemon and a heaping teaspoon of Dijon. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge. I also like to wash and shred my own salad greens (when I have the time!)--in this salad I used red leaf and iceberg lettuces, for crunch:



I tossed the salad with the dressing, then placed the greens on the dinner plates, and topped with diced apple and onion, halved red grapes, crumbled bleu cheese and, saving the best for last, those addictive candied pecans. I served the salads with wedges of foccacia bread......



Yummy and so good for you! Of course, you can always add grilled chicken or fish to this salad--we are just "forced" Vegetarians, for the summer at least!

I tried in vain to get a good photo of Big Daddy enjoying his salad, but he's gotten a little bit camera shy in his old age, and even threatened me with his fork!.....




Sheesh, do I need a restraining order???

In the end, because we only had SALADS for dinner, for gosh sakes, we all thought we deserved a little of this, for dessert......



That's right, baby, vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce! The perfect end to the perfect meal.

TODAY I'M MOST GRATEFUL FOR.....

*My energy level lately--I've been able to get done what I need to get done, and STILL have some fun!

*My friends Sharon and Leslie, who keep me walking on a regular basis.

*The smell of fresh basil, rosemary, mint and Nastursiums....the scents of summer, to me,anyways!


1 comment:

  1. That was a great post to read..yummy looking food, great pics and a laugh at the end!

    ReplyDelete