Wednesday, November 9, 2011

LESLIE'S HEALTHY HILLBILLY SPAGHETTI PIE, AND YOUR LAUGH FOR THE DAY!....



(If you haven't watched the video (above) yet, you need to do so before readin' the rest of this post. It'll getcha in the mood for some real good Hillbilly Spaghetti Pie, right quick like! There WILL be a test, ya hear?....)



Just so you know, there have been lots and lots of Hillbilly Spaghetti Pie recipies floating around on the internet over the past couple of years, and I've always wanted to try them out. I mean, C'MON!!! How can I resist anything with the name "Hillbilly" in it? Brings to mind a bunch of guys cooking over a trash can fire, strummin' on banjos and whittlin', no? But after last week's Satan's Meaty Meatloaf extravaganza, well, I figured I should just lighten things up a little around here, so this is MY version, a Healthy Hillbilly Spaghetti Pie. A true ONE PAN wonder, and super easy and fun....gotta give this one a try ; we just love it here in the sticks!

First thing you'll need is a good old fashioned cast iron skillet, if you have one. If not, no sweat--just use a large, overproof skillet, preferably non-stick. Saute some green onions in olive oil.......



Add lean ground turkey (that's the first part of my healthy revision--the original recipe calls for ground beef and sausage) and brown over medium heat.............



Once browned, add crushed tomatoes (I like this brand), spices, chicken broth and salt...........




Add broken spaghetti (healthy revision #2--multi-grain pasta, thin variety), and PUSH spaghetti into liquid. Cover for 8 minutes......



Give the pasta a little stir after 8 minutes ; reduce heat and simmer for about 5 more minutes, or until pasta is al dente. Add Parmesan cheese and cream............



Stir well. Sprinkle top with mozzarella................



Place pan under broiler until spotty brown (keep your eye on your pie!)......let cool for 5 or 10 minutes, and DIG IN..................



MMMMM....I cannot tell you how good this Hillbilly Spaghetti Pie is--guess you're gonna have to take my word for it and make one for yer self! Here's the recipe...Y'all come back now, Ya hear?!

LESLIE'S HEALTHY HILLBILLY SPAGHETTI PIE
Serves 6-8

1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 tblsp. olive oil
1 to 1 and 1 / 2 lbs. ground turkey, lean
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 / 2 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
1 / 2 tsp. dried oregano
1 / 2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1 and 1 / 2 cups chicken broth
8 oz. thin spaghetti, broken into 3 inch pieces
 1 / 4 cup heavy cream
1 / 2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups grated Mozzarella cheese

Saute green onion in olive oil on medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add ground turkey ; brown over medium heat. When almost brown, add garlic and spices. Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add broken spaghetti. Push spaghetti into liquid and cover for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, stir pasta. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes longer, or until pasta is al dente. Add Parmesan cheese and cream ; stir well. Sprinkle top with mozzarella and place under broiler until spotty brown. Watch carefully. When done, let pie sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.

TODAY I'M SO GRATEFUL FOR....

***Hillbilly Pie--we are STILL eating the leftovers around here!!

***Books--just finished one great read and am starting another today!

***The sweet man that I've known for years, who told me I looked skinny! Who da thunk?



1 comment:

  1. I am not gonna lie...I had to hold my breath and hope that you didn't mention me with this post. I mean, I live in the land of the quakenado, Oklahoma. Yup, a tornado and an earthquake within two hours of each other.

    The spaghetti pie looks good, and since we are under a frost warning, I just might have to fire up the ole' cast iron skillet after I season it again. A might rusty, Ima thinkin'. =)

    Hope you are staying warm, oh skinny one. Post a picture taken by your hubby...a nice fall one!

    Love ya, Debra

    ReplyDelete