Friday, July 22, 2011

LEMON JAM DROP COOKIES AND THE SIMPLE THINGS!


Growing up, my all-time favorite author was Laura Ingalls Wilder. I mean, I soooo wanted to BE her! Some of my close friends know that about me, already. Seriously, my interest in her writing and her life became sort of an obsession with me, sort of like how some kids these days are so into Harry Potter. Anyways, the older I get, the more I appreciate Laura's wisdom, and the hardships she and her family faced just trying to survive. Here's one of my favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder quotes:

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones, after all"

Which got me thinking about all of the sweet, simple things in my life that bring me such joy...here's my summertime list.......

***a flower snipped from my garden, displayed in a jelly jar on my kitchen sink

***watering the garden on the morning of a soon to be hot day, and feeling the cool water from the hose refresh my feet and legs

***sitting on my front porch with my family, just enjoying each other's company

***having lunch with girlfriends who make me laugh--priceless. (Amish-Rhubarb mystery SOLVED, Pam!)

***talking to my mom on the phone about movies we've seen, books we've read and recipies we want to try

***driving around town with the air conditioning just CRANKING in my car, just to cool off!

***Friday night movies with Big Daddy

***giving the dog a bath, just to cool off his little hot dog body, and getting a big thank you with his slobbery "kisses"

***our town's sweet little farmer's market, each and every friday! Today I took my camera, so that you can share in the bounty of upstate New York farms.....



Aren't tomatoes and berries works of art?.........


I know, I know, MORE peaches!.................





Farm chicks, working hard...........


My friend Sharon LUSTED after these cookies.....said she wanted one as big as her head!....................


Here's the little sugar addict, herself......


These Mennonite (or Amish? I can never get them straight) folks are here each week with their wonderful baked goods............


I just love the daughter's sweet homemade dress...and the whoopie pies ain't bad, either..........


Okay, think I've died and gone to heaven each and every time I see these herbed goat cheeses, from a local farm in Herkimer.......AND she gives samples!.........


Another favorite simple thing? Why, simple cookie recipies to prepare for when your daughter is bringing friends home for dinner and you want a little sumpin' sumpin' for dessert! These Lemon Jam Drop Cookies just taste like summer to me...lots of lemon juice and zest in the dough.

First thing to do is beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, then add almond extract, egg, lemon juice and zest........



Mix in baking powder and flour......


Here's how your dough will look when well mixed......if you sneak a bite, I won't tell.....


 Chill dough in the fridge for about an hour, then shape into balls and place on parchment or silicone lined baking sheets........


Make an indentation in each with your foxy little thumb..........


Fill each indentation with your favorite jam---I had this in the fridge, so strawberry it was!...............(lemon curd or blueberry would also be terrific).............



Bake and cool on a rack. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar and serve.....


Here's the recipe......

LEMON JAM DROP COOKIES
Makes about 30 cookies

3 / 4 cup butter, softened
2 / 3 cup powdered sugar
1 / 3 cup sugar
1 egg
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. almond extract
2 cups flour
1 1 / 4 tsp. baking powder
Additional powdered sugar, for dusting
Your favorite jam

Using a mixer, beat butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg, lemon zest and juice and almond extract and beat until combined. Mix in baking powder and flour. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. Shape dough into balls and place on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Make an indentation in each cookie and fill with jam. Bake at 350 degrees for 17-19 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on rack, then sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.

TODAY I'M SO THANKFUL FOR.....

*Farmer's markets, everywhere!

*Ceiling fans---they have been lifesavers in this heat wave we're experiencing...especially with no air conditioning in our homes!

*The love of reading that my daughter and I share....we are NEVER bored!



3 comments:

  1. My hubby got one of those cookies at the Farmer's Market today, and I got the blueberry square. And of course I bought some cheese from Nancy at Jones Family Farm. Love their stuff! Your cookies sound wonderful! Making them as soon as I get back to Utica (where I have all the ingredients) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys, all three, are heading to the Cape for an overnight @ the outlaws' and Mama gets 36 hrs of solitude...thinkin' a batch of these tummies would be a great "welcome home" treat Sunday evening.

    So miss the OFFM! Such a wonderful market in a wonderful town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummies, not tummies!! Darn you, auto-correct!

    ReplyDelete